“One Of The Toughest Cycling Events You Will Take Part In!”
IT WILL BE DOWN TO YOU TO TRAIN
- MONTHLY GROUP RIDES EVERY 2ND SUNDAY OF EACH MONTH
- THESE WILL INCREASE IN MILEAGE
- YOU ARE ASKED TO USE STRAVA TO LOG MILES
- PLEASE JOIN THE WINCANTON CYCLING CLUB ON STRAVA
- THE MORE TRAINING YOU DO THE MORE YOU WILL GET OUT OF TWWB
- TAKE IT EASY AND SLOWLY BUILD UP YOU MILAGE
- START ON EASY GRADIENTS AND BUILD YOURSELF UP TO STEEPER HILLS
- YOU WILL NEED TO BE MENTALLY TOUGH AS WELL AS PHYSICALLY FIT
- IF YOU NEED HELP PLEASE ASK WE ARE HERE TO HELP
REMEMBER ASK FOR HELP WITH TRAINING.
Training for your first TWWB
We cannot underestimate just how important it is to do the miles in your training.
The earlier we finish each day, the earlier we can start to relax, we can refuel and get an early night’s sleep.
If you aren’t bike fit you’ll struggle, it will mean long long days in the saddle, that you then are limited in terms of recovery time.
This will mean you find your tiredness builds up over each day, so each day get a little harder, each day gets longer, each day you struggle more on the hills.
Finishing each day’s ride at a decent time, not only allows your body to recover, but your mind as well. Its just as much of a mental challenge as it is a physical one.
This is also why you should be able to ride 60 miles in a day without too much struggle.
This is also why that you should be able to ride 30 – 40 miles without needing to stop for a rest.
Stopping / starting means you’ll get cold, which means your legs get stiff, which means its hard to get going again.
Also stopping does not allow your body to process the lactic acid build up in your muscles. Again which means you get stiff and your legs hurt when you start again after a long break.
Mental Fitness / Toughness
- YOU need to be “Mentally Fit / Tough”, you will only get this by training in all weather conditions.
- YOU will need to be able to do a full day’s ride in wind, rain, mist, sunshine and whatever else mother nature can throw at us.
- Hill after hill will slow drag your energy reserves down and this will drag your morale down as well.
- On TWWB you will be tired, wet, sore, fed and will want to get off your bike. You will if you are not mentally tough, the fittest rider will give up if they are not mentally tough.
- To help build up your mental fitness train when you are tired, when it is cold and raining.
- Take part in the Lion Heart as this normally takes place when the weather is bad.
A Suggested Training Plan
January / February / March
You should be riding twice a week and be at the point where 25 – 30 miles is achievable without needing to stop.
Goal – Complete Lionheart Sportive Standard Route ( 60 miles ) in March.
Riding 3 Times ( 25 – 30 miles each ride ) a week + One long ride of 40 – 60 miles at a weekend.
Goal – Complete Circle Sportive Bath – Standard Route
Riding 4 Times a week ( 25 – 30 miles each ride ) + One long ride of 60+ miles at a weekend.
Goal – Take part in a TWWB Group Ride
Goal – Complete Jurassic Beast Sportive – Standard Route
Goal – Complete 1 of the 3 Days of The Tour of Wessex ( Standard Route )
You need to be “Bike Fit”, you won’t get this by going to to gym, or spinning classes. You need to put the miles in on the road. This should include plenty of hilly routes. TWWB is not a flat ride. There’s plenty of climbing to be done.
If you can get to the top of King Alfred’s Tower, without having to walk, that is a reasonable guide to the sort of hills you are going to come across. You should make sure you include this climb in your training rides.
On TWWB you will tackle hills that have short 30% inclines.
You should be aiming to be able to complete a 60 mile ride with hills in it, in around 4 – 5 hrs by this point. Average speed at around 15 mph.
I know this sounds tough, but if you can get yourself to the point where you can do the above. You are going to be able to complete TWWB 2017 and not have to worry too much about your physical fitness.
To Sum Up
If you train right.
If you have a bike that’s comfortable to ride.
If you have the right drink.
If you have the right food.
If you have the right clothing.
You’ll complete TWWB and you’ll also enjoy it.